Summary (Too long; didn’t read)
- Upon the initiative of the ASST, the department conference decided to give all doctoral students a one-time payment of 1200 CHF.
- The ASST discussed the role of doctoral students in teaching activities to promote and protect involved students.
- Next steps in the mental health working group.
- New ASST members were elected at the general assembly in January 2023.
- ASST goes bqm! Come for an iced tea, a beer, or a glass of wine to our next informal get-together on February 24, 2023 18:00 at bQm.
- New year, same problems? Make use of the available support structures!
- In light of the increasing cost of living, the ASST initiated a discussion at the department conference in December. A one-time inflation compensation of 1200 CHF was agreed upon and it ought to be paid out together with the salary of January 2023. As you might have read all five salary rates for doctoral students and scientific assistance I will be increased by 2.5% from 1.3.2023.
- We discussed the issue of doctoral students being able to engage in teaching. Whereas we promote opportunities for PhD students to be involved in teaching, including leading their courses, mechanisms must be in place to protect them from overload. The ASST will elaborate formal regulations and guidelines in the following semester.
- Based on the mental health survey and the identified issues, we will discuss the next steps, with different AVETH working groups, such as the AVETH diversity group. We will inform you about the progress and possible participation in time.
- In our extraordinary general assembly on January 23, 2023, we elected new representatives of the department conferences and various teaching commissions. Congratulations to the newly elected and thank you for your efforts!
- We will begin to regularly organize a roundtable at the ETH-located bar “bQm” under the Polyterasse. The whole D-GESS scientific staff is invited. We reserved tables at the bQm bar and cover the first round of drinks (including alcoholic beverages). This will be an opportunity for informal talks and for getting to know colleagues at the department. Join us on February 24, 2023, at 6:00 pm. You can find the dates for the whole semester on our webpage (https://asst.ethz.ch/events).
- In case of personal or work-related challenges, there are different free places to seek help, including the GESS Help!Point or Nightline Zurich.
Do you have questions or suggestions regarding these recent developments at D-GESS? Are there any topics missing that should be included in the next update? Our inbox is open!